Written by Scott Venci, Press-Gazette Media

Green Bay Notre Dame girls basketball coach Sara Rohde, who led the Tritons to the WIAA Division 2 state championship last weekend, was named The Associated Press state coach of the year on Wednesday.   Notre Dame beat New Berlin Eisenhower 42-33 for the second state title in program history and the first since 2001. The Tritons finished 22-6.

Rohde is the second straight area coach to be named AP girls coach of the year, following De Pere’s Kelly McNiff last season.

“It’s exciting,” said Rohde, a former player and assistant coach under Kevin Borseth at the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay. “I do have to give a lot of credit to all of my other coaches, too. I couldn’t just do it by myself.

“I really thought we had a talented group of girls. I think initially what was holding us back was our team chemistry and everyone knowing their roles. As the year went on, everyone got better with that.”

The Tritons started 5-4 but appeared to find their stride by January. They ended their championship run with an eight-game winning streak.

Rohde has enjoyed instant success since being hired by Notre Dame in 2011.

The Tritons have gone 43-12 during her first two seasons and have advanced to the state tournament both times.

“Obviously, I always thought it would be nice to get to that point,” said Rohde about winning a title. “I didn’t know when it would happen, but then after our first year when we won a sectional final, it was kind of crazy.

“This year we always thought it was going to be possible, just because we had a good group of girls coming back.”

More at http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20130321/GPG020503/303210180/Notre-Dame-s-Rohde-named-AP-state-coach-year 

Coach Rohde is a 2003 graduate of the Professional Program in Education, and is currently finishing her MS in Education in our Applied Leadership Program.  She is a 4th grade bilingual teacher at Green Bay’s Eisenhower Elementary.