The Pink Flamingo knows you are eagerly anticipating the end of the semester and the beginning of summer (we’re with you!). Before you make too many plans, though, check out the official Pink Flamingo summer to-do list for the savvy student.
- Obtain some relevant applied experience (job, volunteer) to increase career and grad school marketability.
- Study for the GRE! (Really, you CAN and SHOULD study for it.)
- Read all the great career, internship, and graduate school information on the HUD & PSYCH websites and then do additional research on career and graduate school options.
- Conduct an informational interview or job shadow a professional in a career of interest to you.
- Read some great books!!!! One of the best ways to improve your writing and critical thinking skills (not to mention your Verbal GRE scores) is to read and build your knowledge base and vocabulary.
- Review your Degree Progress Report. Note the requirements you need to fulfill and make a plan for your remaining time at UWGB. Consider whether there are classes you wish to re-take or if there are skill areas you want to build before you leave. You should also check the report for accuracy every semester!
- Make a list of other great opportunities (RAs, TAs, Internships) you want to take advantage of while at UWGB and make plans for when you will apply for/complete them. One thing to consider? Plan to spend part of Summer 2008 as a counselor for Camp Lloyd! (See: http://www.uwgb.edu/camplloyd/)
- Take summer classes!!! These can be fabulous intensive learning experiences. They can also help move up your graduation date! Be careful, though, not to take on too much (e.g., we don’t recommend taking two summer courses in the same session). Also make sure you do not plan vacations or other time away during these courses. If you miss a day of a summer class, it’s like missing a full week of the regular semester!
Have fun, and come back rested and ready for an amazing 2007-08 academic year!