Internships: A Student Perspective (Special Bonus Edition)

In preparation for fall registration, which will be upon us before you know it, the PF is proud to bring you interviews with not just one, but two students who recently completed internships! See below to learn more about how the students (Chris Kuhn and Bao Thao) found their internships and what they learned. If you are interested in pursuing an internship yourself, make sure that before you do anything else you read the appropriate human development and psychology internship policies and then consult with a faculty member who would be an appropriate sponsor for you. Please also remember that internships are not the only way to gain this great, applied experience; volunteer work and paid employment opportunities can be equally valuable.

Brown County United Way by Chris Kuhn

1. Where did you complete your internship?

Brown County United Way

2. How did you find out about the internship and go about getting it?

I talked with my Psychology advisor about opportunities in the community that I could get involved with. She was a board member for the Brown County United Way, and suggested that I intern with their organization. She set up a meeting with who was to become my internship supervisor, and we went from there.

3. What kinds of things do you get to do on your internship?

I interned specifically with the Community Partnership for Children department of the Impact Council. My main project was working through data to collect information on the developmental milestones of children age 0-3. The data was used to create a tool that could be used to measure healthy development in the community’s infants. Besides working on that project, I was able to observe the 2-1-1 Call Center (a hotline that connects community members with local services.)

4. How do you think the internship relates to what you have learned in your classes?

Many of the classes that I had taken relate to the healthy development of children. Infancy and Early Childhood stressed the importance of childhood development and how it has long-term implications throughout life. The work I was a part of showed the effort the community was making in order to ensure that healthy development.

5. How important has this internship been to your educational experience at UWGB, and why?

The internship brought my knowledge full circle with its real-world application. Sitting in class, students are only able to learn about the topics in theory. Being able to experience the issues in an applied setting really highlighted the lessons that were being taught in class. Drawing the connections between class content and application was a very valuable learning experience.

Phuture Phoenix by Bao Thao

1. Where are you doing your internship?

I did my internship with Phuture Phoenix and worked on campus and at Preble High School.

I talked to my advisor about my future plans, and she suggested that doing the Phuture Phoenix internship would help me to get experience and work towards my future goals. I also saw the internship advertisement in the Pink Flamingo newsletter. From there, I contacted the Phuture Phoenix advisor and was then given an interview.

3. What kinds of things do you do on your internship?

As a fall semester intern (compared to a spring semester intern), I had the opportunity to experience, behind the scenes, about 1,400 fifth grade students come on campus and spend a day in the life of a college student. We did much planning for the two Phuture Phoenix days, and it was another year of success! Also, throughout the semester, I co-ran an extracurricular activity at Preble High School called FLITE (Future Leaders Inspired Through Empowerment). During this time, high school students came in to gain college knowledge and hear from different professionals in a variety of careers (arranged by us). In addition to that, I tutored at-risk high school students at Preble High School and served as a role model to them.

The internship relates a lot to my Middle Childhood and Adolescence class. This was because I worked with students that were in the adolescence stage, and I used much of the knowledge I gained from this course. Another class that my internship experience related to was Multicultural Counseling and Mental Health where cultural competence and cultural sensitivity is important, for I worked with many students of different cultural backgrounds.

This internship has made a big impact on me. It has helped confirm that school counseling is what I want to go into, and that high school students are the population I would prefer to work with. I feel that this internship has given me more experience and has benefitted me in many ways. Even though my internship has already expired, I decided to continue tutoring because knowing that not only has this internship made an impact on me, but that I have also made an impact on these students gives me great satisfaction.