Getting to Know Your Faculty: Their Favorite Movies are….

In a feature new to this issue, we set out to ask the tough questions.  What exactly are your faculty member’s favorite movies… and why?

Dr. Burns: What about Bob? because I think it’s funny and it has tons of psych humor in it.

Dr. Cupit: Reds because it reminds me of my parents.

Dr. Gurung. The Jungle Book: carefree jungle life and a great reminder to only care about the bare necessities of life.  Plus, swashbuckling action and great tunes.  A close second— The Princess Bride (see swashbuckling above).

Dr. Holstead: Love Actually. I’m a huge fan of romantic comedies, British accents, and Hugh Grant! And – the movie is really true – Love actually is all around!

Dr. Lanter: Bridget Jones Diary because I felt just like her when I was a study abroad student in Scotland!

Dr. Martin: Cool Hand Luke because like Luke says, “Sometimes nothin’ can be a real cool hand.” 

Dr. Radosevich: The Color Purple for two reasons (1) I use to watch it with my mom anytime it came on tv; and (2) the strength that Celie eventually finds to stand up for herself is very powerful and inspiring.

Dr. Senzaki: Life is Beautiful because it’s funny and serious.

Dr. Smith: An Angel at My Table, which tells the story of Janet Frame, a New Zealand writer whose introversion was mistaken for mental illness.  Filmed in NZ, it is a beautiful story about an incredible woman.

Dr. Vespia: None of these are probably the “best” movies I’ve seen, but my sentimental favorite is The Sound of Music because I grew up watching it on TV with my family and know all the songs by heart. My favorites for pure escapism and fun are some of the great fantasy/sci-fi series including The Lord of the Rings, the original Star Wars movies, Indiana Jones (skip 2 & 4, though), and Harry Potter. They have drama, action, humor, romance, and great special effects.

Dr. Von Dras: Woodstock, it provides a window by which to view the “coming-of-age” of late-adolescence/young adulthood.  It also has great music, such as Richie Havens’ Freedom or Joan Baez’ Joe Hill, which reflect social issues and concerns that are still current and of ongoing interest.     

Dr. Wilson-Doenges: Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back.  I feel like it defined my generation – or at least the geeks and nerds of my generation and it is the only movie I have ever watched more than five times and still love.