FAQs About Registration & Advising

Our crackerjack Research Department has been working round-the-clock for weeks to generate answers to your most pressing Registration and Advising questions.  If the resulting information is incomplete, confusing, or even infuriating, please direct your corresponding questions, concerns, or outraged denunciations to your advisor or Department Chairperson.   

1. What is an Academic Requirements report, and why should I care?

Your Academic Requirements report can be accessed in Student Information System (SIS).  It lists all of your classes and grades, and it flags all unmet graduation requirements. It will also tell you exactly what courses you can take to meet those requirements. This document determines your graduation eligibility, so check it each semester for accuracy and to find out if you are “on track.” (Note: Classes that are “in progress” will be listed and shown as meeting requirements, but the associated credits will not be reflected in those earned toward graduation until final grades are recorded.)

2. How much “double-counting” can I do between Psychology and Human Development?

No – it’s not a rare form of math phobia. “Double-counting” is when you take a course (e.g., Intro to Human Development) and it meets not one, but two, requirements (e.g., one for the HUM DEV major and one for General Education). Observant students have noticed you can do some double-counting across the Psychology and Human Development majors. 

  • COMM SCI 205 or MATH 260 counts as a supporting course for both majors.
  • One upper-level Psychology class (either PSYCH 417, PSYCH 429, or PSYCH 438) also counts to meet the Psychology requirement for the Human Development major. If you are a Human Development minor, these courses do not count; all of your upper-level courses must have a HUM DEV prefix. 
  • Only one of the Developmental core courses (HUM DEV 331, 332, or 343) may be applied to the Psychology major (as the Developmental Psychology requirement).

3. Do I need a degree in Calculus to understand the answer to that last question?

No, simply taking a course in Calculus will do. 

4. Is there such a thing as “triple-counting”?

Yes, but given how hard it is to explain mere double-counting, we really don’t like to think about it.

5. What on earth is a “valid academic plan,” and why don’t I have one?

Pay attention to messages you receive from the Registrar’s Office about not having a “valid academic plan” or having “registration holds.” If you ignore them, you may sit down to register for classes and find SIS won’t let you!  A valid academic plan includes either an interdisciplinary major or minor. Human Development is an interdisciplinary program, which fulfills this requirement. Psychology is a discipline, so Psychology majors must have another interdisciplinary major or minor to graduate. You need to have a valid academic plan on file with the Registrar’s Office once you have earned a specific number of credits toward graduation.

6. What’s the big deal about internships anyway?

Internships provide the opportunity to gain practical experience applying what you have learned in your classes.  There are grade point average and other prerequisites for completing an internship, and you need to find a faculty sponsor (see a list by specialty area here). Keep in mind the following facts. First, we do not place students in internships, and we have limited capacity to sponsor them (each faculty member can only do so many). Second, you should not accept an internship before you have a faculty sponsor. Third, if you are interested in an internship, you should look now.

Review our policies carefully before proceeding at: http://www.uwgb.edu/humdev/internships/policy.asp.
You can also view a list of possible internships at: http://www.uwgb.edu/humdev/internships/index.asp.

More detailed information at sites is available in the internship files located outside Dr. Bartell’s office. You are not limited to our published list of internships, but you will need faculty approval for any internship site.  You do not have to complete an internship to gain practical experience; you can also do so through a job or volunteer work! Graduate schools and employers are often most interested in whether you have significant experience, not whether it was obtained through an internship, job, or volunteer work.

8. How many faculty advisors does it take to change a light bulb?

So we haven’t actually tested it (and we call ourselves scientists!) but given how many of us it takes to fix a paper jam in the copy machine when Brenda isn’t here, we’re guessing at least five.