Career Profile of the Month: February 2014 Edition

Swenty

Meet another one of our amazing alums, Molly Swenty (’13), and find out about her first job after graduation. She has great advice to share!

1. What is your name?

Molly Swenty 

2. What was your major and minor at UW-Green Bay, and in what year did you graduate? Do you have a graduate degree (MS/PhD), and, if so, in what field?

Major: Psychology
Minor: Human Development
Year: Spring 2013

3. What is your current job and how would you briefly describe what you do?

My current position is with Shopko. I work in the Corporate Office as the Human Resource Coordinator for the Rx Business (Pharmacy and Optical). In my position I do a number of different things. First, I am the go-to person to schedule a new hire’s drug test, background check, orientation, and relocation plan. I assist the new hire in the entire process of receiving their offer letter to completing their new hire paperwork. I work directly with recruiters across the nation and assist them in any tasks that they need to be taken care of for hiring an individual. This could mean typing an offer letter to checking their licensing. I also work directly with the store Pharmacy and Optical managers, customer service managers, and Regional Human Resource Specialists. Finally, I am in constant contact with our new hires. I am their first contact on any questions they have concerning relocation, pay, or anything that comes along with a new position. On the corporate side, I help schedule interviews at our office, conduct new hire orientation and aid in daily reporting tasks. 

4. How do you use your human development and/or psychology education in your current job? If you do not, please explain.

I use my analytical, organizational, and problem solving skills. I analyze numerous reports for the recruiters along with head HR staff. In order to organize all of my offer letters, drug test dates and orientation, it takes a lot of skill and practice. Each day I write about 20-30 offer letters and schedule about 6 drug tests. Finally, I use problem solving every day. Something is almost always guaranteed to go wrong. I am the go-to person when a pharmacist administered a drug test incorrectly or the orientation facilitator forgets a step. 

5. Was this your first job upon graduation? If not, what was your first job?

Yes. 

6. What kinds of things did you do as a student (e.g., specific classes taken, independent studies, working with your advisor or career services, volunteer work, part-time jobs) that you believe made you successful in your job search and/or competitive as a job candidate? Is there anything you didn’t do that you wish you had done?

I believe my involvement in Psi Chi (Treasurer and President) was the most helpful. I learned how to balance planning events and trips with my homework and job. I had to learn how to be very organized and utilize my communication skills. I use these every day at my job. Seeing that I didn’t just go to school was a huge plus. I worked, volunteered, participated in student orgs, was a peer mentor and even was able to finish two internships. I was busy, but I showed that I was versatile and ambitious. I believe that setting myself apart by how involved I was or the different activities I participated in helped when applying to positions. Employers like to see someone who is driven and self-determined. By applying myself to as many experiences as possible, I showed these qualities. I also believe that my part-time job at the University Union was another huge plus. I was the Reservations Coordinator and was in charge of over 10 student employees and planned/coordinated numerous large events on campus. I learned how to communicate with individuals on campus, as well as outside resources in the community. This help to strengthen skills I learned in the classroom. Finally, I believe that taking many different types of courses has helped me get to where I am now. I took my Psychology and Human Development courses, but I also made sure to take courses that I thought were interesting. I took Creative Writing, Medieval Literature, and even City Structures/Globalization. The courses helped me expand my knowledge and taught me how to look at a situation from multiple views. 

7. What advice would you give to current UW-Green Bay human development and/or psychology students with regard to making the most of their education and making themselves maximally competitive for employment post-graduation?

Go out there and experience all of the opportunities UWGB has to offer. Complete an internship, take an interesting class, talk to your professor outside of class, write a grant, conduct an experiment; whatever looks interesting. I am glad I can say I regret nothing. I experienced so many things and was able to make connections all across the community. I learned about my strengths and weaknesses as well. It is important to find yourself and learn what you love and do best. You are in charge of your education and experience, so make the most out of it.
GO OUT AND EXPERIENCE!!!