Advisors Are Like Electronic Equipment: No Returns or Exchanges!

It may seem challenging to determine your advisor’s identity. Follow these simple guidelines, and you’ll be in great shape!  If you are newly declaring a major, find your advisor using our website. All students should also be able to find their advisor’s name in Student Information System (SIS) by looking in the lower right corner of the “Student Center” page. Your HUD and PSYCH advisor should be the same person.  For continuing majors/minors, stay with the same advisor you were assigned when you declared your major or minor. Do not change advisors when we change alphabetical listings; we want you to have the same advisor throughout your education.  Please, no returns or exchanges (even with a receipt!). Exception: Isn’t there always an exception? If you have a compelling reason to want to change advisors, please see the Department Chair and/or sign a new major/advisor declaration form with your new advisor so that we have a record of these changes.

Top 10 Questions Students Ask During Registration

At first I wasn’t going to be allowed a Top 10 list in this issue. But, we had extra space on this last page so I was given the go ahead by the Editor-in-Chief (I should feel good knowing my Top 10 lists are more valuable than a blank piece of paper).  So, here it goes: The Top 10 questions students ask during Registration. 

10. Why isn’t “cry” listed amongst the things to do when all the classes I want to take are closed? 

9.  Is there any way to find out ahead of time which classes will be canceled when it snows and which ones will not? 

8.  How can I find a Writing Emphasis class that doesn’t actually require any writing?

7.  What do I do if my advisor only holds office hours from 2-4 AM on alternate Tuesdays?

6.  Can my Scuba class be double-counted as a Psychology elective?

5.  I think there’s something wrong with SIS.  It says that all the Human Development classes are full. That can’t be right, can it?

4.  Speaking of SIS, is there a class I can take (and maybe one you can enroll my advisor in, too) that will teach me how to read my Degree Progress Report? 

3.  Is it OK to count 1 SS1 for 1 SS2 provided I take 2 H2s and 2 NPS2s, or will that leave me DOA?

2.  Instead of a candy bar, could the trivia winners be waived into the courses of their choosing?

1.  Could you make sure the Top 10 list is at the beginning of the next issue?  That way I don’t need to read all this other stuff.

FAQs About Registration & Advising

Our crackerjack Research Department has been working round-the-clock for weeks to generate answers to your most pressing Registration and Advising questions.  If the resulting information is incomplete, confusing, or even infuriating, please direct your corresponding questions, concerns, or outraged denunciations to your advisor or Department Chairperson.   

1. What is an Academic Requirements report, and why should I care?

Your Academic Requirements report can be accessed in Student Information System (SIS).  It lists all of your classes and grades, and it flags all unmet graduation requirements. It will also tell you exactly what courses you can take to meet those requirements. This document determines your graduation eligibility, so check it each semester for accuracy and to find out if you are “on track.” (Note: Classes that are “in progress” will be listed and shown as meeting requirements, but the associated credits will not be reflected in those earned toward graduation until final grades are recorded.)

2. How much “double-counting” can I do between Psychology and Human Development?

No – it’s not a rare form of math phobia. “Double-counting” is when you take a course (e.g., Intro to Human Development) and it meets not one, but two, requirements (e.g., one for the HUM DEV major and one for General Education). Observant students have noticed you can do some double-counting across the Psychology and Human Development majors. 

  • COMM SCI 205 or MATH 260 counts as a supporting course for both majors.
  • One upper-level Psychology class (either PSYCH 417, PSYCH 429, or PSYCH 438) also counts to meet the Psychology requirement for the Human Development major. If you are a Human Development minor, these courses do not count; all of your upper-level courses must have a HUM DEV prefix. 
  • Only one of the Developmental core courses (HUM DEV 331, 332, or 343) may be applied to the Psychology major (as the Developmental Psychology requirement).

3. Do I need a degree in Calculus to understand the answer to that last question?

No, simply taking a course in Calculus will do. 

4. Is there such a thing as “triple-counting”?

Yes, but given how hard it is to explain mere double-counting, we really don’t like to think about it.

5. What on earth is a “valid academic plan,” and why don’t I have one?

Pay attention to messages you receive from the Registrar’s Office about not having a “valid academic plan” or having “registration holds.” If you ignore them, you may sit down to register for classes and find SIS won’t let you!  A valid academic plan includes either an interdisciplinary major or minor. Human Development is an interdisciplinary program, which fulfills this requirement. Psychology is a discipline, so Psychology majors must have another interdisciplinary major or minor to graduate. You need to have a valid academic plan on file with the Registrar’s Office once you have earned a specific number of credits toward graduation.

6. What’s the big deal about internships anyway?

Internships provide the opportunity to gain practical experience applying what you have learned in your classes.  There are grade point average and other prerequisites for completing an internship, and you need to find a faculty sponsor (see a list by specialty area here). Keep in mind the following facts. First, we do not place students in internships, and we have limited capacity to sponsor them (each faculty member can only do so many). Second, you should not accept an internship before you have a faculty sponsor. Third, if you are interested in an internship, you should look now.

Review our policies carefully before proceeding at:
You can also view a list of possible internships at:

More detailed information at sites is available in the internship files located outside Dr. Bartell’s office. You are not limited to our published list of internships, but you will need faculty approval for any internship site.  You do not have to complete an internship to gain practical experience; you can also do so through a job or volunteer work! Graduate schools and employers are often most interested in whether you have significant experience, not whether it was obtained through an internship, job, or volunteer work.

8. How many faculty advisors does it take to change a light bulb?

So we haven’t actually tested it (and we call ourselves scientists!) but given how many of us it takes to fix a paper jam in the copy machine when Brenda isn’t here, we’re guessing at least five.

The Legend of The Pink Flamingo: The Saga Continues

We know some readers have been on the edge of their seats waiting for the second installment of The Legend of The Pink Flamingo.  So…what happened after Dr. Illene Noppe asked her son for a pink flamingo for Mother’s Day? He bought her one!  (Please don’t ask why she wanted one in the first place – we think that’s a question only she can answer.) Dr. Noppe then made the mistake of sharing her Mother’s Day dream with Twila, our Academic Department Associate, who responded by saying, “Great – just as long as you don’t bring it to the office!”  Well, Dr. Noppe couldn’t just ignore that challenge, could she? Wouldn’t your feathers have been ruffled? The very first flamingo in the wing, therefore, was one that showed up on Twila’s office chair, facing her computer, with a beautiful “HI TWILA” sign hanging around its neck. How did that turn into a whole flock of beautifully decorated flamingos? More on that in our next issue…

Careers of the Month (March 2007)

Insurance Professional: Interested in the business side of things? The insurance industry and other businesses often hire students with general liberal arts degrees like Human Development and Psychology and may provide on-the-job training and competitive salaries. Learn more at:

Lawyer: Have you ever thought about becoming a child advocate in Washington, D.C. or working in family law? HUD and PSYCH students often believe they can only pursue graduate degrees in their major areas of study. In fact, you can apply to law school, medical school, and many other graduate programs with a general liberal arts degree. Consider a career as an attorney! Lean more at:

HUD/PSYCH Trivia (March 2007)

HUD/PSYCH Trivia: Which famed psychologist built a crib for his daughter that was labeled by an October, 1945 issue of Ladies’ Home Journal as “Baby in a Box”?

Answer: Elizabeth Lybert knew that B.F. Skinner built his daughter a crib called the Baby Tender, labeled by Ladies’ Home Journal as “Baby in a Box” when they published his article describing it.  Just to do a little myth-busting on this, while there are many rumors about his raising his daughter, Deborah, in a “Skinner-box” (some even going so far as to say that she became psychotic and committed suicide as an adult because of her troubled childhood), Deborah is very much alive, has denounced the rumors, and says that she had a very normal childhood.  However, if you read the LHJ article, you’ll find that his parenting approach was a bit different from what most developmentalists advocate.


Faculty Trivia (March 2007)

Faculty Trivia: Which faculty member owns a James Bond T-shirt that he admits is a little too small for him, but says he still wears it around the house on some weekends? (Hint: This same person also anxiously awaits the March 13th DVD release of the critically acclaimed Casino Royale starring Daniel Craig and Eva Green. Has he seen it before? Yes. Will he watch it again? Yes, many, many times!)

Answer: Knight…Eric Knight was able to correctly identify that Dr. Ryan Martin owns what he describes as “a really cool but slightly too small” James Bond T-shirt.  Dr. Martin asked that we make sure to note that his appreciation/obsession with James Bond is in no way weird or unusual but merely reflects the fact that, if not working here at UWGB, he would most likely be working as an agent for the British Secret Service.  For the record, we at The Pink Flamingo still think it’s weird.

Top 10 Imaginary Comments About the Newsletter

Our editorial board isn’t feeling in the pink right now; in fact, we’re a little blue. You might even say we’re in a fowl mood (get it? “fowl” mood!). We worked our tail-feathers off on our first issue, and no one seemed to notice. In fact, the only comments in our beautiful new Suggestion Box were made by Dr. Martin.  That’s okay – since we didn’t get a lot of feedback from students, we made some up.  Below are the Top 10 comments we imagined having received from you about the first newsletter.

10. Finally, my life-long quest to figure out Pavlov’s middle name is over.  So, what do you think the “B.F.” in “B.F. Skinner” stands for?

9.  My superego kept telling me I should read it, but my id told me to take a nap.  The id won this round. 

8.  I wish it had been data-driven rather than theory-driven.

7.  I was going to say something, but I learned in class that variable-ratio reinforcement schedules were more effective than continuous ones.

6.  Will this material be on the next exam?

5.  I have my spam-blocker set up to keep just this sort of thing out of my inbox.

4.  How come there’s no sports section?

3.  I don’t read anything unless it has the word “interdisciplinary” in the title.

2.  This is not your typical newsletter.  Rather, it’s a breath-taking breakthrough into the suspense-comedy genre that owes as much to Lev Nikolayevich Tolstoy as to Dave Barry, molding the two of them into a grand vision that’s as spectacular as it is unique.

1.  I still don’t understand why you have flamingos outside your offices (that’s okay, neither do we).

Career/Grad School Tip of the Month: Select classes wisely

1. Take classes outside of Human Development and Psychology!!! Use elective courses outside of your major or minor to build skills you will need in your job and/or that will enhance your marketability for careers/grad school (e.g., writing, public speaking, and computer skills, learning a second language).

2. Select classes within your major or minor which complement your career or graduate school goals. These may not always be obvious. For example, those interested in School Psychology should almost certainly take Tests and Measurements, not simply developmental and counseling courses. What’s the best way to pick out the less obvious ones? Talk to your advisor!