Hola! An Online Course with Faculty and Students from UN-Tumbes in Peru and UW-Green Bay

Interim Dean Derryl Block (in center) poses with Nursing Students at Universidad Nacionel de Tumbes in Peru during her trip in 2009.

A spring 2010 course is in progress with faculty and students from UW-Green Bay Professional Program in Nursing and Universidad Nacional de Tumbes (UNT) in Peru.  UNT is in a fairly remote area of Peru. Professor Susan Gallagher-Lepak and Interim Dean Derryl Block are teaching the course. Four very brave UW-Green Bay BSN completion students are taking the course for independent study credit.  The course is fully online and all communications are posted into the course in both English and Spanish (thank goodness for “google translate”!). The course covers discussions of nursing, nursing interventions, and healthcare issues in both nations. Professor Block traveled to Tumbes Peru in 2009 and visited UN-Tumbes and the nursing program. Feel free to check out the UN-Tumbes website (translated in English) at:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.untumbes.edu.pe/&ei=IFVGS-rDFIqSNu76qOwC&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBUQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Duniversidad%2Bnacional%2Bde%2Btumbes%26hl%3Den

40 thoughts on “Hola! An Online Course with Faculty and Students from UN-Tumbes in Peru and UW-Green Bay”

1. In response to your blog comment, we do have nurses from other countries taking our courses. Your question of applicability is a bit more complex. Would the courses assist a nurse in serving patients? Yes. Will they assist a nurse in completing a BSN degree? It depends upon which institution they are attending for the BSN. Each institution will evaluate courses for transfer that will be determined to meet or not meet requirements of their specific program.

Of course, if a student outside of the US is hoping to graduate from our program, the courses would be applicable. The only concern for a nurse from outside the US is that they would need to hold a Registered Nurse license from a state Board of Nursing in the US in order to be eligible to enroll in our program. Many “foreign nurses” do hold US licensure. Some states are more amenable to licensing a nurse not residing in their state than others.

2. “thank goodness for “google translate”…”

You can say that again! about 1 in 5 blogs I visit are in Spanish and I am only partially literate. But, because of Google translate I’ll never have to buy a language course 🙂

3. I encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you really help me. Your idea is outstanding; the issue is something that not enough people are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy that I stumbled across this in my search for something relating to this.

4. Wow… both English and Spanish. I was very happy to see that. I wonder if this same course is offered in house or anywhere else in the U.S?

5. …The course is fully online and all communications are posted into the course in both English and Spanish (thank goodness for “google translate”!)…

yet the translation is not perfect..

6. The use of distance learning in critical fields like nursing is on the upswing, and postively impacts isolated areas the most. As fiber optic internet cable expands globally, so do the virtual possibilites for addressing critical needs in many areas.

7. With more and more schools offering interactive course options, I only see this has a great leap forward for both private and public educational institutions. Another great addition to the online course landscape is open-courseware, which provides free learning materials for anyone who’s interested. Thanks for this great post.

8. There really is no stopping the rapid progression of online courses. One of the decisive factors is their unrivaled convenience to the student. The world is really becoming smaller when two people from different side of the planet learn a subject within the same online classroom. One of the nice things about the courses you provide is the easy access to remote regions of the planet.

9. I want to applaud this initiative! Understanding is key wherever action is required. So bringing the understanding to remote places at a pace and a cost that is justifiable is very commendable. I’m glad this is being done! I have friends from Peru who have always wanted to be able to learn more. Good to see this is in progress.

10. I have traveled in Peru and most of South America. I agree that this group of students and teachers are in a wonderful location. And yes, brave, because the safety element always comes into play in South America. I had only positive experiences in South America and Peru and applaud this initiative.

11. Certainly an article to be read! This was
    a great and informative read! Fabulous work
    by the author and creator! Nice feedback
    from the readers as well! I must admit the
    author had some very valid points here.
    Thank you for taking the time to share this
    with us!