What does STD stand for?
An infection transmitted through sexual contact, caused by bacteria, viruses, or parasites.
What are the most common types?
- Human papilloma virus infectionAn infection that causes warts in various parts of the body, depending on the strain.
- Genital herpesA common sexually transmitted infection marked by genital pain and sores.
- ChlamydiaA common sexually transmitted infection that may not cause symptoms.
- GonorrheaA sexually transmitted bacterial infection that, if untreated, may cause infertility.
- HIV/AIDSHIV causes AIDS and interferes with the body’s ability to fight infections.
- SyphilisA bacterial infection usually spread by sexual contact that starts as a painless sore.