She applied and received a $5,000 Institute grant to purchase the violin, which would be awarded to a selected student who demonstrated responsibility, diligence and commitment to excellence on his or her instrument, but would not have been able to afford it. The instrument would be given to the student as a “loan” for the school year and then returned at the close of the school year for maintenance before it would be awarded at the closing recital at the next summer Bootcamp program, thereby, establishing an opportunity for all students to strive toward.

The outstanding student, who wins the violin, will participate in the Summer Strings Bootcamp program. The Bootcamp is an intensive three-week lesson program that serves students from culturally diverse backgrounds, with two private instrumental lessons per week, sectional and ensemble classes, music literacy class concluding with an evening recital. Student Zac Clark was the first award recipient.

“Being selected made me realize that our instructors saw me as being better than I thought,” Clark said. “It has helped me in my confidence. It has made me proud of who I am as a violinist and it has inspired me to want to continue to improve my skills on the violin.”