Since the first face-to-face seminars last spring at the UW-Green Bay campus, the PDC staff, coaches and the Quality Review Board (QRB) have continued to provide web-based support though online programming and phone contacts and videos, while QAARDAN provides local support through frequent communication and site visits. The candidates are currently working on their Individual Learning Plans (ILP) focused on their school/building goals and also their online Action Research course, which are partial requirements for program completion.  The candidates are finding the PDC program very different from other professional development programs. Its rigor and relevance to improved practice are valued, they say. Here are reflections from two candidates about their journey so far:

Paul Adebanjo

Paul Adebanjo

“I started my PDC journey with an overwhelming enthusiasm and optimism. I was hungry for a fresh challenge and need to grow professionally to become a better teacher and even more so, a better learner. Learning has been completely different from anything I have done before. I feel my understanding has greatly matured over this short period of time. I am much more equipped with the necessary tools to improve learning in my classroom.” Paul Adebanjo, sixth grade English Language teacher, Halifield School, Lagos.

Adeola Tolulope Adebola

Adeola Tolulope Adebola

“Unlike other professional development programs I had experienced, the PDC is rigorous and tasking. It is not a ‘read and answer’ or ‘copy and paste’ program; you must research your focus topic relevant to student learning and analyze and interpret your data. The PDC has challenged me to be a better learner and has provided the structure and the process to begin to change my leadership style as an educator. The program is encouraging and provides assistance and support for my success. I am eagerly researching my topic and look forward to interpreting my data once I begin my Action Research within my school building. As a teacher of teachers, this program provides strong leadership training for my continued professional growth.” Adeola Tolulope Adebola, Deputy Head Teacher, Chrisland Education Organization, Lagos.

The International PDC candidates are currently learning about action research through an on-line eight week program and some of them have already identified their action research topics. Action research allows candidates to focus on a topic relevant to student learning and areas of improvement in their respective schools.