UW-Green Bay is grateful for partner educators and schools that prepare about 80 student-teachers each semester in the local area, as well as other states like South Dakota, Alaska, Missouri and Colorado. Others are student-teaching in as far-off places such as France, China, Mexico and England.

It is a credit to local partnering-schools that UW-Green Bay’s Professional Program in Education is widely recognized as one of the finest teacher preparation programs in the state — even receiving the Regents Excellence Award for an Academic Department of the Year in the UW-System in 2011. Post graduate placement rate is high, mostly attributed to the positive relationships and partnerships with area school districts. Also, enrollment into the program is consistently at capacity.

UW-Green Bay graduates are assuming leadership roles in their schools/district and earning professional recognitions as distinguished and accomplished educators. Ongoing collaborations and partnerships with the Institute for Learning Partnership’s partner schools make it possible for pre-service teachers to be in community schools/classrooms early in their career. Its strong partnership with the Discovery School in Cuernavaca, Mexico, immerses pre-service teachers in a Spanish speaking language and culture. We’ve placed the spotlight on a few local educators to see just how UW-Green Bay and their partners helped them prepare for a teaching career:

Chris Hendericks, 2005

Christopher Hendricks

Fifth-grade teacher, Glenbrook Elementary

Pulaski, WI.

“The UWGB education program also set me up to succeed, because of leaders like Tim Kaufman and Karen Bircher, who placed me with the best teachers in the area to learn from,” said Hendricks.

He earned a Golden Apple Teacher award in 2012, which supports his professional success as a distinguished educator.

Hendricks referred to UWGB education program as his “foundation as an educator.”

“Looking back, it is probably the single most important step I took part in, in becoming a teacher,” Hendricks said. “I would recommend UWGB’s education programs to anyone who is interested in becoming an educator and being trained by the best.”

He identified that the most important component of UWGB Professional Program in Education is the early and frequent exposure to real classrooms, which helped him to feel more comfortable in classrooms.

“The most powerful component of the program, for me, was constantly being in the classrooms,” he said.  “All the hands-on experiences while in the program have shaped the way I instruct and assess and my expectations for my student-teaching classroom.”

In addition to Hendricks work as a teacher, his classroom is 1 of 7 District-Wide “21st Century Model Technology Classrooms” and he is a member of his school’s Leadership Team.

Nathan Riehl, 2010

Nathan Riehl

Currently enrolled in Master’s in Applied Leadership for Teaching and Learning
Combat Medic Instructor, Wisconsin Army National Guard
Teaches Emergency Medical Services, Northeast Wisconsin Technical College
Being in the National Guard, he found support from the UWGB program.

“As a veteran, I had to leave school several times for training, mobilization and deployment and UWGB was very flexible in my training,” he said. “Through all this time, UWGB, the Education Department, Dr. Tim Kaufman and the entire faculty made the transition in and out of school very easy and painless. They were willing to work with me to develop a plan that is in the best interest of parties involved. It took me 10 years to complete my undergraduate degree and the skills I learned have made me the teacher I am today.”

Riehl identified classroom management techniques and the opportunity to get into schools for observations and student teaching as important features of the UWGB program.

“The UWGB Professional Program in Education gave me confidence in my ability to manage a classroom and work with others on a professional level,” he said. “The program is designed to help you succeed; not only do you get into schools for observations and student teaching, you have the opportunity to see classroom management in every class with great instructors that the program puts in front of you.”

In additional to teaching Emergency Medical Services at NWTC, Riehl assumes leadership roles including Coordinator for Advanced EMT program. He helped establish and assist in the operation of NWTC Medical Response Team, he is a member of NWTC Safety Team, a volunteer with Black Creek Rescue  EMT-Intermediate Technician, and continues to serve with the Wisconsin Army National Guard.

Tammy Allen, 2009 & 2011

Tammy Allen 4a

First-grade, Two-Way Bilingual teacher, Wilder Elementary School,
Green Bay, WI.

“As an undergrad, UWGB gave me many opportunities to apply what I learned in classrooms in multiple school districts in the community, grade levels and content areas,” she said. “Also, not only do my students have great academic success, but many times my colleagues look to me for advice on how to improve their own instruction.”

Allen credits the master’s program for her confidence in teaching. “While completing my coursework for my master’s program, I was pushed to look at the way I taught, assessed and interacted with my students.

Allen recommends the UWGB Education Program to those seeking an education degree.

Allen has really blossomed as a teacher. She assumes leadership roles and is a member of the Wilder Leadership Building Team and a member of the Positive Behavior Intervention & Supports, Universal Leadership Team. She was also a member of the Bilingual First Grade Curriculum Writing Team, last summer.

Carissa Teaters, 2007 & 2011

Carissa Teaters

First grade Bilingual teacher
Danz Elementary School,
Green Bay, WI.

“The UWGB Professional Program in Education prepared me professionally by giving me many hands-on opportunities in many different school settings,” she said. “These experiences opened my eyes to the fact that a teacher’s day is ever changing and you encounter new situations daily, no day is the same.”

Teaters is involved in a few leadership roles at her school. She’s a member of the Positive Behavior Intervention Support Team and the Wellness Committee. She is also the contact person between the Einstein Science Project and the school staff, among other endeavors.