The Institute for Learning Partnership congratulates all the Golden Apple Award honorees.

Golden Apple Award honorees, announced on March 5:

• Kerstin Westcott, Washington Middle School (Green Bay)           
  • Audrey Nowak, Bay Port High School (Howard-Suamico)
  • Amy Kupsh, Valley View Elementary  (Ashwaubenon)
  • Sean Gibbons, West De Pere Middle School        
  • Westwood Elementary Team - Regan Budek, Stacey Derbique, Samantha Sullivan, Kayla Weyenberg (West De Pere)                               
  • Kelly Suda, Green Bay Preble High School
  • Sheila Kohl, West De Pere Middle School

Three of the 2014 Golden Apple Award honorees — Kerstin Westcott, (Green Bay) EED ’05; Amy Kupsh, EED ’96; Sheila Kohl, EED ’96 and MSL ’05 — are graduates of UWGB’s Professional Program in Education. Read more about these fabulous educators.

Sheila Kohl is a veteran teacher and National Board Certified. She has taught sixth grade science and social studies classes for 16 years at West De Pere Middle School.

Shelia Kohl Computer Pic

“I am proud to have received my undergraduate and graduate degrees at UW-Green Bay as the coursework for both helped prepare me to be a teacher and introduced me to the idea of being a teacher leader,” Kohl said.” “In addition, attending the Institute for Learning Partnership’s National Board for Professional Teaching Standard workshops helped me to become a national Board Certified Teacher. I reflect often on my experiences and the academic growth achieved with UW-Green Bay’s programs and thankful I had the opportunity to attend such a fantastic university.”

Amy Kupsh is an 18-year teaching veteran. She has taught both first and second grades at Valley View Elementary School, Ashwaubenon, Wis.

Amy Kupsh

“My educational experience at UWGB prepared me well for life in the teaching world,” she said. “Just as I am trying my best to make a difference in the lives of my students, the UWGB education program faculty made a difference for me. Joan Thron gave me a love for literature. Joan Simmons taught me about the developmental progression in teaching children how to read and write. Ted Korowthoski taught me how to effectively teach mathematics to children. Francine Thompkins enabled me to be a resource to my students and their families and their many needs. They and many faculty members gave me the tools necessary to be an effective educator coming fresh out of college and I am very grateful to them.”

Kerstin Westcott teaches at Washington Middle School, Green Bay, Wis. She teaches 6th grade reading, writing, and social studies and has been teaching for 9 years – three years at Red Smith School and six at Washington Middle School.

Kerstin Westcott

Kerstin said she is the teacher she is today because of her UWGB education.

“My years at UW-Green Bay were some of the best years of my life.  From the moment I set foot on campus, I felt like I was where I meant to be,” she said. “When I joined the Education Program, I was blessed to learn from some of the best professors and have some of the best experiences that anyone could ask for. 

“The UWGB Education Program gave me the opportunity to get involved in all different types of classrooms around the city.  I had the chance to work with a variety of age groups and in a variety of subjects from very early on in my college career.  My professors supported me throughout the process and gave me valuable knowledge that I have put in to practice throughout my years of teaching.  I am the teacher I am today because of the wonderful years I had at UW-Green Bay.”