Abrams Elementary students using iPads.

An Institute for Learning Partnership (ILP) grant awarded to Abrams (Wis.) Elementary School is supporting students’ love for reading and strengthening an internal motivation that will last a lifetime.

Elementary school teachers Danielle Baade and Shana Pociask received a $2,485 ILP grant for their “FIRED Up About Reading” project to address “summer reading slide off” among fourth-grade readers at Abrams. The slide off refers to students’ slow decline in reading skills over the summer months.

The grant provided Kindle Fires loaded with appropriate-leveled books and applications that were used during the school year and the summer to help maintain and improve reading skills. The program fostered parent participation during a Camp Fire Night that kicked off the summer reading with Kindle Fires.

Teachers confirm that the “FIRED Up About Reading” program was a great success in avoiding the summer slide.

“Every one of the participants maintained their reading level and many improved,” Baade said.

“As professionals we also gained new insights into action research and technology implementation and we grew professionally; but the biggest winners were the students,” Pociask said.

Student Isabelle Dequaine commented in support of the program.

“I really liked how the books were on here (the Kindle) and that I could just carry this instead of a book. I liked how it showed where I was in the book. I also liked the learning games,” she said.