For those of you kicking yourselves that you missed the application deadline, the study abroad gods are smiling down on you today! The application deadline for our summer travel course to beautiful Alicante, Spain has been extended to NEXT Friday, March 15th!! This 6 credit program is the perfect venue to improve your Spanish language skills while experiencing Spain for 5 weeks!
See the full program brochure here: UWGB in Alicante
Another one of our study abroad students is keeping a blog of her experiences, this time in Auckland, New Zealand! She has invited us to share her blog, so we encourage you to check out her stories and photos during her semester abroad!
Stephanie’s New Zealand Blog
For those students applying for short-term study abroad trips this summer, we encourage you to check out the Global Studies scholarship! This is a great way to fund your study abroad venture!
The recipient shall be chosen by the Global Studies Scholarship Selection Committee using the following selection criteria (based on the time of application):
- Student must be enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student at UW-Green Bay;
- Student must be participating in a short-term study abroad trip (2-3 weeks in duration) outside of the United States that is led by a UW-Green Bay faculty member (preference given to those participating in a trip led by a Global Studies faculty member);
- Student must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of a 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale);
- Student must complete a two-page essay detailing financial need, describing the short-term study abroad opportunity, and highlighting the benefits of the proposed trip to the student. A resume (or CV) must also be submitted to the selection committee.
- The scholarship shall be given semi-annually as funding permits, with $300 available during the Winterim and $300 in the Summer session.
Please submit all required materials electronically to Katia Levintova, Global Studies Chair (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The application deadline for this scholarship is April 1st, 2013.
As a heads up, our website will be down tomorrow, February 16th at 5:00AM for approximately 30 minutes. During this time you will not be able to access your applications.
Now is the time to complete your study abroad applications for this Summer and Fall!!
Important deadlines to remember:
THIS FRIDAY (Feb. 15th)
Hessen Summer ISU programs
Hessen/German Exchange (Fall 2013/Academic Year)
National Student Exchange (Fall 2013, Spring 2014, Academic Year)
MONDAY, Feb. 18th
URS Internship to Tena, Ecuador
FRIDAY, Mar. 1st
All other Summer, Fall 2013/Academic Year Programs!
Jumpin’ Kangaroos!! The deadline for the Australia Travel Course has been extended to February 1st! Students will have the opportunity to visit ancient cloud forests, vast outback deserts, tropical rainforests, and the Great Barrier Reef on this travel course that focuses on ecology and biodiversity. You can complete your application on our website! UWGB Australia Application
Now is the time to think about study abroad plans for next year! Choose from our exciting, short-term summer destinations such as Brazil, Germany, Australia, Ghana, Ireland, London, Russia, Jordan, Spain, Ecuador, as well as our many semester/year-long programs for the Fall. Most application deadlines for these programs will be in February and the very beginning of March. Keep an eye on our website for more details! http://uwgb.studioabroad.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Programs.ListAll
A lot of cool things have been happening around campus as part of our International Celebration, and there are still more events coming up!
- Nov. 8th: “Behind My Veil”, 7pm, Mauthe Center — an event that promotes understanding of Islam
- Nov. 9th: Mosque Open Day, 11am, Islamic Center of Green Bay — an opportunity to understand what actually happens in a Muslim place of worship
- Nov. 13th: International – Dinner for a Cause, 5:30pm, Mauthe Center — a truly (FREE) international dinner; all donations and proceeds go towards building a well in Africa
- Nov. 29th: Muslim Images in the American Media, 7pm, Mauthe Center — a panel discussion about portrayals of Muslims in the media
- Study Abroad First Steps Meetings: Every Tuesday at 2pm and Wednesday at noon, OIE (CL 207) — learn all the basics of study abroad including destinations, financial aid, scholarships and more!
One of our study abroad students has been keeping a blog of her unique experiences over the past month in Merida, Mexico. She has invited us to share her blog, and we encourage you to see what it’s really like to study in another country! She has some awesome pictures and stories – so check it out!
Danielle’s Merida Blog
UW-Green Bay has partnered with the Universities of Stirling, Aberdeen and Glasgow to provide students with semester-long opportunities to study in Scotland. Representatives from the Scottish universities and the Office of International Education will be stationed outside of the Phoenix Bookstore from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Tuesday (Oct. 9) to provide additional information and answer questions.