A Summer in Portugal: Leah Zorn

Leah EIA

Name: Leah Zorn

Major: Business (minor in Computer Science)

Year in School: Senior

Program: European Innovation Academy (Portugal)

Tell us about your program & experience abroad!

leah 2Being part of the world’s largest accelerator program not only taught me a lot about entrepreneurship but also introduced me to amazing peers and mentors from around the globe. At the European Innovation Academy, my team, PLUM, developed the business plans for a food delivery mobile application meant for homemade food. Our target audience is students in Qatar. Within the three weeks I served as a the Chief Design Officer. This involved prototyping our mobile application. Along the way, we, as a team, worked with mentors to pivot when needed and made sure our business was going down the right path.

leah 4The last day of the program served as “pitch day” where each team pitched to an investor, PLUM pitching to VP of Sales at Disney, Paul Holliman. With great feedback, we headed to the afternoon where we would find out who made the top ten. With much gratitude, we did make it to the top ten! This meant pitching on the “big stage.” In conclusion, we received an in-kind award for design mentorship.  As our Chief Mentor, Daniel Vila Boa said, “you resemble the very best of what is possible at the European Innovation Academy.

Were you able to travel during your free time?

barcelonaApart from EIA, I was able to explore more of Europe on my weekends there and decided to take short trips to both Paris and Barcelona. Overall, I am walking away from these three weeks with lifelong friends living on different continents, a full belly of European cuisine, and so many memories to share for years to come!