A semester in Scotland: Brittany Blohowiak

Brittany Blohowiak

Major: Mathematics

Year in School: Sophomore

Program: Stirling, Scotland – Fall 2016

Why did you choose to study where you did?

I chose to study in Stiring, Scotland based on the size and the similarities of the campus to UWGB. I have never been out of the country before, or away from home, so I thought that a campus that feels familiar would help make the transition easier. I chose Scotland purely because it is absolutely gorgeous and there is so much to see in all corners of the country.

What was the best part about studying abroad? Favorite Experience?

Reading Break in London
Reading Break in London

I have the most memories from trips that I took with my flat mates. During reading break I went to London and Oxford with my flat mate Maddie. We are both pretty big Harry Potter fans so we made it our mission to see all of the sites where the movie was filmed (very nerdy, I know). Of course we had to go to Kings Cross to get a picture at Platform 9 ¾, like every other tourist who likes Harry Potter, but it was well worth the wait.

Another highlight was my trip to St. Andrews. I went up there by myself and stayed for the weekend to see the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship at the Old Course. To be in the birth place of golf was just surreal. My dad and I are pretty big into golf so I knew I had to make a point to get up to St. Andrews if there was ever a tournament going on.

What did you struggle with? How did you overcome it?

Climbing Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh
Climbing Arthur’s Seat in Edinburgh

The biggest learning curve for me was figuring out how to live on my own. I commute from home into college normally at UWGB, so I have never been on my own before in my whole life. Honestly, I have never done a load of laundry before coming on this trip. So it was a learning curve for me to determine what groceries I needed for the week, cooking healthy meals, while still studying and doing school work. I was anticipating being homesick because I have never been away from home for such a long time; however, it has not a problem for me. I think it was the fact that I adapted to the culture so quickly and became so close to my flat mates very quickly; they became my family. It is just astonishing to think that I have only known them for a few months, yet we know each other so well.

Another aspect that was difficult was trying to balance school life and travelling. My flat mates and I usually would try to plan weekend day trips whenever we could because Scotland has cute little towns in every corner of the country. With the weekends booked it became harder to get my readings done, which lead to a few late nights on multiple occasions. I have learned to balance out when I have the time to travel and when I need to say no, in order to study.

What advice would you have for those who want to study abroad?

For anyone even considering studying abroad, I would tell them to go for it. I can honestly say that studying abroad has been one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life. All of the new experiences, cultures and lifestyles that you face in day-to-day life makes it worth every penny.

Hiking up to the top of Dumyat
Hiking up to the top of Dumyat

How did studying abroad personally help you?

Studying abroad really helped me get out of my shell. I was never very involved in extracurricular activities and I am a quiet person to begin with. So, this whole experience helped me become more comfortable putting myself out there and making friends from allover the world. I can now say I can couch surf in places like Canada, Spain, Ireland, Paris and Copenhagen. It has been such a great experience for me and I am sure that it has made me more outgoing in return.

Dunnottar Castle in Stonehaven
Dunnottar Castle in Stonehaven

Want to read more about my experience abroad? Follow my personal blog posted below!

http://www.travelpod.com/members/brittany-b