From Puerto Rico to Green Bay: Adriana Lebrón

Name: Adriana E. Lebrón

Major: English

Year in School: Senior

Program: Went from the University of Puerto Rico Mayaguez campus to the University Of Wisconsin Green Bay campus

¡Hola! ¡Saludos desde Puerto Rico! Greetings from Puerto Rico!

I picked UWGB as my exchange program university, and it was the BEST. DECISION. EVER.

Why did you choose to study abroad and how did you choose where to go?

I wanted to get out of my comfort zone, learn to live alone, and have new experiences. As soon as I decided to do an exchange program, I started looking for my best options and UWGB was always one of the first spots. I looked for the programs, curriculums, dorm, dorm life, lifestyle, and how safe the city was. I picked GB because it was always on the first spot. It also helped that the campus is beautiful, they have the Packers (I saw my first football game there), and overall, the city had a city feel with small town comfort.

Besides those options, I picked UWGB for multiple reasons. First, because they had all of the classes that I needed for my major. Second, because it was a good school, safe and the campus was beautiful. Third, the weather was totally different. I live in a tropical island, thus the heat is not as appealing as experiencing snow for the first time. When the cold came in, I was prepared and ready for it. I loved the cold, the snow and the weird wind. Lastly, I picked it because it was far from Puerto Rico. I did not want to get cold feet, have my family visit me every month, and experience the same things I can at home. I wanted to be free to decide everything, learn to live with roommates, develop cooking, cleaning, and social skills, and overall, meet totally different people; which I did. It may sound hard at first, but it was necessary for me to grow as a person and experience life outside my house and comfort zone.

What was the best part about study abroad? Favorite experience?

I had so many great experiences. I loved meeting so many great international students and learned so much from them! Everything was new, from recipes, to words and even actions. Every moment I spent with them is valuable to me; it was never boring. Something was always cooking, or a plan was hatching: we definitely did not get bored much.

What did you struggle with? How did you overcome it?

Not everything is positive though. I struggled with the roommate thing. I live at home with my parents and brother, so I don’t have to cook or clean that much. It was a learning experience having to live with another three girls, but I managed. I improved my cooking skills and developed cleaning habits and patience.

What advice would you have for those who want to study abroad?

Making sushi for the first time!

My honest advice to you is: Do it. Don’t overthink it! If you can do it, do it! You will NEVER regret it! I am so grateful for my time at GB. I learned a lot of things about myself! I learned I love spending time surrounded by people, I can easily feed a small army, and I can survive alone (I thought I would chicken out). Through my friends, I realized I would love to travel the world and I am not afraid of the thought anymore. Because of this, I made a Europe trip with my university and I am ready for whatever trip comes next—hopefully Mexico to visit some friends.

Studying at Green Bay has been the best decision I’ve made. The weather changes were great, the people, the ambience; everything was totally different to what I grew up in. I am grateful to the people I met, the experiences I had, and for the memories I created throughout the semester. If I could do it again, I wouldn’t hesitate to!

Color Run 2014
Color Run 2014