Yearlong Position, August 2013-August 2014
Brown County 4-H Youth Development is currently looking for a VISTA to serve with us and expand programming efforts for the youth of Brown County. For details of the position,
- Minimum age 18
- Education, training or experience in education or other areas relative to youth-development
- Experience working in a team atmosphere with adults and youth
- Experience and/or willingness to learn and implement programming for youth, grades K-12
- Interest in reaching underserved populations in Brown County
- Ability to working with urban youth serving organizations as partners and representing Brown County UW-Extension and Youth Development
- CPR and First Aid certification preferred
Brown County UW-Extension 4-H Youth Development Staff
VISTA Position Goal: Brown County, WI is home to a significant urban population of youth, with diverse and underserved youth throughout the county. The goal of the yearlong AmeriCorps VISTA is to integrate science, technology, engineering and math (STEM), nutrition education/food and physical activity, and workforce development skills (21st Century Skills) into out-of-school time programming opportunities throughout the year.
Objectives of the Position:
- Assess community offerings and provide educational opportunities that increase STEM, nutrition education and workforce development related competencies into out-of-school time settings.
- In partnership with area partners, including, but not limited to, Green Bay Public Schools, Brown County Foster Care Coalition, and Brown County Planning Department, assist with community mapping of programming for youth, grades K-13.
- Identify gaps in programming offerings relative to STEM, nutrition/activity, and workforce development skills.
- Review existing curriculum related to the above, adapt to meet needs, or create additional curriculum to meet needs and gaps.
- Participate in online and in person training related to the curriculum needs
- In partnership with Brown County Youth Development Educator and other UW-Extension staff, develop relationships with community partners and out-of-school programs.
- Attend meetings of Out-of-School Time Coalition, United Way, and other county meetings to meet and build relationships with community organizations.
- Contact Green Bay Public Schools (and their multiple out-of-school program sites, including YMCA and 21st Century Learning Sites), the Boys and Girls Club, and other youth organizations to discuss possible program collaboration.
- Develop educational plan to create youth groups in out-of-school settings to incorporate STEM, nutrition/physical activity and workforce development into existing programming.
- Assist with the development and maintenance of UW-Extension Brown County’s social media presence, including but not limited to Pinterest, Facebook, twitter, blogs and website.
- Assist with UW-Extension’s annual programming and events, including festivals, academies, and summer camps.
- Create framework and curriculum for a variety of special interest county-wide youth groups, to include:
- STEM – GearTech 21, Robotics, CSI, TechWizards, etc.
- Youth Gardening – Junior Master Gardener, Growing Healthy Kids – in partnership with other AmeriCorps VISTAs
- FIELDS (Field Investigations, Environmental Learning, Decision Making by Students)
- Build capacity for program sustainability by recruiting and training volunteers in STEM, nutrition education/physical activity, and workforce development.
- Develop volunteer position descriptions for out-of-school time programming and camps to plan for sustainability
- Recruit volunteers to fill positions, develop and implement volunteer orientation and program/curriculum training for volunteers
- Provide support and feedback to volunteers running programming.
Monthly living allowance is $928 (take home approximately $850); member will receive a $4725 educational award. VISTA members may have NO other employment during service.
For more information, please contact Melinda Pollen at (920) 391-4613. To apply, please send resume (with two references) and cover letter: Melinda Pollen, Brown County Youth Development Educator, 1150 Bellevue Street, Green Bay, WI 54302, or submit electronically to email@example.com. Application deadline is June 18, 2013.
UW-Extension provides equal opportunity in programs and employment. UW-Extension does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, disability, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, marital status, arrest record or non-program related conviction record. Employment is contingent upon establishment of identity and verification of employment eligibility as required by the Immigration Reform & Control Act of 1986.