- One 15-ounce can chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans)
- 1 ½ T olive oil
- Spices of your choice (see spice blend recipes below for ideas!)
- Optional: ¼- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Drain can of garbanzo beans in a strainer and rinse. Shake off the excess water. Spread beans onto a paper towel. Top with another paper towel, and gently press to absorb water.
- Drizzle the chickpeas with olive oil and toss. Roast for 30-40 minutes until the beans are golden brown and crunchy. Take care not to burn them!
- Season with your choice of spice blend.
One serving (1/3 cup) is only 110 kcals!
FUN FACT: Chickpeas are the main ingredient in hummus and are a great source of plant protein and dietary fiber!
Spice blend suggestions:
Taco: chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion power, oregano, paprika, ground pepper
Curry: paprika, cumin, fennel, ground mustard, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon
Italian: basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, garlic powder
Cajun: paprika, garlic powder, black pepper, onion powder, cayenne, oregano, thyme
Ranch: parsley, dill, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, pepper
Lemon pepper: lemon zest, ground pepper
TIP: Use these savory blends to season up cooked vegetables or fresh stovetop popcorn!
Roasted chickpea recipe source: Hair J. Crispy Roasted Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans) Recipe. Steamy Kitchen Cooking Shortcuts. Available at: http://steamykitchen.com/10725-crispy-roasted-chickpeas-garbanzo-beans.html. Accessed February 12, 2017.
Spice blends recipe source: 14 Homemade Spice Blends. Wellness Mama. 2016. Available at: https://wellnessmama.com/4430/homemade-spice-blends/. Accessed February 12, 2017.
Recipe provided by Caela Stenske, UWGB Dietetic Intern