- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1 pound beef, trimmed of all visible fat and cut into half-inch cubes
- 2 onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes with jalapeño
- 2 cups water
- 1 15.5-ounce can black beans
- 1 15.5-ounce can red kidney beans
- 12 sun-dried tomato halves, not packed in oil, chopped
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped (about 6 large)
- Heat oil to hot in a large pot on the stove and put beef in 1 layer to brown quickly.
- Add onion, garlic, chili powder, and cumin. Cook until onions wilt, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, water, beans, sun-dried tomatoes, and mushrooms.
- Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium low.
- Cook for 2 to 3 hours, uncovered, stirring at times. Or cook 10 to 12 hours on low in a slow-cooker.
Each 1-1/2-cup serving contains about 219 calories, 21 g protein, 4 g fat, 33 mg cholesterol, 30 g carbohydrates, 8 g fiber, and 850 mg sodium. (For less sodium, rinse beans to remove salt or use dried beans instead; use low-salt diced tomatoes.)
Recipe from the StayWell Company, LLC