Nearly 1 in 5 American children is at increased risk for serious health problems because of obesity.
To help your kids maintain a healthy weight, keep them active and try some new low-calorie, kid-friendly recipes, like this lower-fat version of a true classic kids love.
- 2 cups macaroni
- Nonstick cooking spray (as needed)
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 cups evaporated fat-free milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Cook macaroni according to directions—but do not add salt to the cooking water.
- Drain and set aside.
- Lightly spray saucepan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add onions to saucepan and sauté for about 3 minutes.
- In another bowl, combine macaroni, onions, and the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Spray casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Transfer mixture into casserole dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 servings
Each serving contains 200 calories, 4 g fat, 34 mg cholesterol, 120 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrates.
Recipe from the StayWell Company, LLC