Can I stay on campus over break?

Yes, all residence halls and apartment-style buildings will remain open during the semester break.

If I am leaving campus for break, what should I do before leaving?

If you plan to be gone during part or all of the break period, please shut and latch all windows, close curtains, unplug non-essential items, remove trash, flush toilets, take valuable items with you and make sure ovens, stoves, exhaust fans, and other appliances are turned off. Please park in the East Housing Lot near Temp Hall if you are planning to leave a vehicle on campus while you are away on break.

What should I do if there is a vacant space in my room or apartment?

If you have or will have a vacancy in your room or apartment, please prepare for a new roommate prior to leaving for the break.  The vacant space should be clean, clear of personal belongings and welcoming to a new resident. Shared areas such as kitchens, living rooms and bathrooms should also be clean and free of clutter.

If I am not returning for spring semester, what do I do?

Students who have been permanently released from their University housing contract must clean and vacate their room or apartment and complete the check-out process on-line by Wednesday, December 19 at 2:00 p.m. Failure to check-out will result in a $50 improper check-out charge.  Do not check-out until you are ready to leave as your door access will terminate at 10:00 p.m. on the day of check-out. It is recommended that you update your permanent address in SIS if it has changed. Residence Hall closet doors that were removed MUST be properly re-installed prior to your check-out, or damage charges will result. Dressers placed in closets must be removed and placed back into the main part of the room as well.

How do I submit a maintenance request?

If you are aware of items in need of repair in your room or apartment, please submit an online Maintenance Request for these items now to avoid damage charges.  Normal wear and tear items will not result in a charge.

Can my I swap rooms with another roommate in my apartment?

It is very important that students in apartment accommodations actually stay in the bedroom to which they were assigned. This is for reasons of safety and security, assignment purposes, and to avoid potential charges for damages caused by another student. If you and your roommates are not staying in the bedrooms as assigned, please stop by the Community Center front desk by Friday, December 7 at 4:00 p.m. There is a short form that all roommates must fill out and sign to ensure that our bedroom assignment records are accurate, and that students are not held liable for damages in a bedroom they did not stay in.

When will safety inspections occur?

Your Resident Assistant will inspect your room or apartment at the end of the semester to ensure that it has been properly prepared for the semester break period.  Residence Life facilities maintenance staff will conduct safety inspections of each room or apartment on January 2nd and 3rd.

Can I leave items in community kitchens over break?

No, residence Hall community kitchens will be thoroughly cleaned over the semester break period. Please remove any food items from the refrigerators and any personal cooking utensils from the cupboards prior to the break. These items may be returned to the kitchens at the beginning of the spring semester.

Are quiet hours the same during finals week?

No, during finals to respect others needs for an atmosphere conducive to sleep and study, silent hours and extended quiet hours will be posted in your buildings. Resident Assistants are expected to be particularly sensitive to noise levels during finals.  Violations of University and Housing policy will result in judicial action which may include your immediate eviction, cancellation of your housing contract, and/or referral of your case to the Dean of Students Office.

What should I do with items I no longer need?

If you have personal belongings you no longer need, there will be a collection container in the Community Center where you may discard canned food items, clean clothing, and household items in good working condition.  These items will be donated to charitable organizations in the Green Bay community.  Please place items in plastic bags and separate food items from other donations.

What should I do with my bicycle over semester break?

You may want to take your bicycle home during the semester break.  Bicycles may be stored in your room or apartment providing you follow all guidelines including having consent of all roommates per your roommate agreement.  For more information about bicycle storage, please click here.


If you have any further questions, contact the Office of Residence Life at (920)465-2040 or Good luck on finals exams!