Kelsey DuQuaine

Moll Flanders Text Adventure

(Currently, the play-in-browser link only works in Internet Explorer. I will see if I can fix this over break.)

After a lot of work and frustration, my game is more or less done. I showed it off to my classmates in English Novels and they seemed to really enjoy the concept, which was really exciting. I was worried nobody would get it! Thankfully, things went pretty okay.

The only thing that bugged me was well, the bugs. I had not asked anyone to test the game for me and therefore, when I was presenting it in front of the class, there were a few problems that came to light. Mostly, these were things I had failed to program in, like a direction that is mentioned as an option in the description of an area but does not actually lead anywhere.

Additionally, based on my classmates’ desire to see what would happen should Moll Flanders decide to rip off her clothes in the middle of a London street, I discovered that my original desire to include easter eggs¬†and jokes would have been well received. It sucks that I didn’t have enough time for that before I showed the game off, but perhaps over break I can add some more things and update the game periodically.

As for the process, it was, as I said, frustrating. I spent a very long time (more time than I probably should have) trying to figure out how to allow the player to throw an object. Eventually I took to google and found another game-maker who had come up with a set of rules that allowed this. From there on, making the bare bones of the game was actually pretty easy, thank goodness.

My only other concern was making this a suitable final for my English Novels class before I had to present it. Ultimately, the way I decided to go about this was to focus on the language of the descriptions. There was a pretty obvious difference between the placeholder text I had input while designing the game and the novel I was basing the game off of. Given the fact that one of our assignments in English Novels was to understand the styles of the authors we read, I figured it made sense to rewrite everything I had in as close a style to Daniel Defoe’s as I could. In the end, it probably could be better– I’m frankly not that certain that I mimicked his sentence structure all that well –but it meant doing a lot of rereading and research that I would not have thought to do without this project. I looked up tons and tons of words in the Oxford English Dictionary to be sure that they were appropriate for the time period, and on top of learning which ones were not, learned that I naturally use a lot of slang from the twenties!

More importantly, this research helped me to understand my character a little bit better. By looking into the language she might have used, I got a better idea of how she might have thought. For example, the concept of “dead-ends” in streets did not come around until around the invention of cars. Given how Moll operates– basically moving from one way of life with one set of people to another way of life with another set of people –this makes sense. Moll doesn’t see dead-ends, not even when she ends up in prison.

In this way, I think my work on this project has been valuable for my understanding of the text. I’m certain I would get even more out of doing this project once again with another scene from another book, now that I know how to use the program and find help when I need it. By exploring a part of the book we did not get to see in detail through my game, I learned about the world Defoe created in a way that I would not have without this project.

I am excited to try more projects like these next semester!

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>