Blair Booth & Katie Hobbs

This semester Katie and I decided we wanted to make a video game that would embrace the ideals of Digital Humanities. Being the huge dreamers and ambitious people that we are, we set our sights high. Actually, we set our sights and goals too high for the amount of time we had. We had so many cool ideas that we really didn’t know where to start! That being said, we definitely did not get a full game done, but we got some really cool ideas and started testing things out. Since I just graduated last weekend, I hope that Katie continues on with this idea to the independent study next semester. I’d love to see where this can go!

Katie and I used the system called Scratch to work with our creation ideas. In this system you can create different scenes and play them out how you want them to using the different control buttons you are given. This system is user friendly for all ages and actually a lot of fun to play with. I feel like I would get really off track just playing around with it.

The game that we decided on trying to make was based off of the Dr. Seuss book, One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish. We decided it would be a fun way to show children another way to learn. Although we didn’t get anywhere near a game completed, we did have some fun little starts to ideas. I have posted them below for everyone to see. Hopefully they work.

On this first one, click this picture and then press the flag button to start it.

Scratch Project

For this next one, click this picture and then press your space bar to start it. Something happened in the process of uploading this too the Scratch website from the Scratch system, so there may be some things a little off. Sorry about that!

Scratch Project

There was one more little Scratch sample that I had made with bubble sounds included, but it kept giving me problems so I didn’t upload it. It wasn’t the coolest one anyway.

Finally, throughout the semester, Katie and I decided to document our progress through a Tiki-Toki timeline as well. This was a lot of fun to work with and a really cool system. This timeline can be found directly below this paragraph. The timeline is called “Clearing the Fog: Tackling Digital Humanities”. Be sure to check it out for some fun and interesting insights!

-KH

As posted below, Tiki-Toki proved itself a valuable – and visually pleasing – way to document our progress throughout the semester.  Somewhat afraid of failing to finish our project, we thought creating a Tiki-Toki timeline would ensure that we had some sort of “product” come the semester’s end. Our timeline can be found in a previous post, found here.  Another example from our class here.

-KH

I had a lot of fun this semester learning more about Digital Humanities. I can honestly say I had no idea what to expect coming into the semester. I had no idea what Digital Humanities even was. This semester has taught me a lot though and I had a good time with great people while learning more about this subject. This independent study has taught me that sometimes you set your goals a little too high when you get excited about something. Also, it has taught me that I need to be more patient with software and computer programs, especially when things don’t work the way you want them to. I really think that Digital Humanities is worth something though! It is something that more people in the public need to be aware of. I’m actually really sad that I graduated and can’t continue on taking these classes now that it is starting up. I think many people should get involved with it if they can. I am really proud with what I have accomplished this semester though and am glad I have something I can show for it. I can’t wait to see if Katie does something more with our game and see where it ends up.

One thing is for sure though, I definitely don’t regret taking this course!