Throughout the summer, Career Services has been busy preparing for the upcoming fall semester. As summer break winds down, an increasing number of employers have been in touch with us as they look for part-time, full-time and internship candidates. If you’re seeking a position, you certainly don’t want to miss out on these opportunities! Here are a few things you can do now to prepare for the fall recruiting season:
• Got a plan? First things first. Before you start your job or internship search, do you know where you’re headed? Perhaps you recently declared your major and have ideas about possible careers, but haven’t really explored your options. By having a goal or general direction in mind, it will help you develop a more effective resume and target your job or internship search. Visit with a staff member in Career Services if you need help narrowing down your options or developing a plan.
• Develop or update your resume. If you created a resume last year, review it carefully. Does the same information apply? Does your objective accurately reflect your search? Have you added your summer employment or internship to your resume? It might be time to delete older information (such as high school involvement) and include relevant courses or projects you’ve completed. We have guides and resources on our website to help you develop or update your resume. Remember, our staff can review your resume to help you effectively market yourself to employers.
• PRO – Phoenix Recruitment Online. Be sure to upload your resume into PRO. Not only is it required to participate in on-campus interviews, but it also allows employers to find you if they conduct a resume search in the system. You will also want to update your profile in PRO – check your contact information, major, anticipated graduation date. Set up a search agent – this tool in PRO will notify you be email when new openings are posted in the system. Instructions for uploading resumes, searching for jobs and setting up a search agent are located in the Resource Library in PRO. (TIP: Look at the tabs on the left side of the screen – click on “Resource Library” – and find the “PRO User Information” folder.)
• Attire. This might sound simple (and it is), but do you have appropriate attire if you’d be invited for an interview… let’s say… tomorrow? Sometimes students are caught off-guard, receiving an interview offer sooner than they had anticipated. Avoid the last-minute scramble and make a great first impression. Check your wardrobe to see if you have at least one interview appropriate outfit. We have tips to “Dress for Success” on our website at http://www.uwgb.edu/careers/skills/dress-for-success.asp
• Know (and utilize) your resources. Career Services has a comprehensive website and hosts various workshops and programs throughout the semester. We also coordinate visits for employers who hold information tables on campus, conduct interviews, and attend our job & internship fairs. And don’t forget – our staff members are a valuable resource, whether you’re exploring your options, developing your professional skills, or making connections with employers. You can view the our workshops and programs at http://www.uwgb.edu/careers/skills/calendar.asp and our a complete calendar of programs, employer visits, and campus interviews is available in the “Career Events” section of the PRO system.
On behalf of the staff in Career Services, best wishes for a great start to the Fall 2012 semester. Please connect with us as you have questions!