Break out your Packers colors for a UW-Green Bay Alumni Packer Tailgate Reception, Saturday, Nov. 8, 6 pm to ???, at Gabe’s by the Park, (991 Lexington Pkwy N, St. Paul). Warm-up for Sunday’s Packers-Vikings football game by gathering with former classmates and friends. In addition to great company, you will find complimentary hors d’oeuvres, cash bar, and a door prize or two.
Did you know that more that 600 UW-Green Bay Alumni live, work and play in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area? Take the opportunity to compare experiences (rant about or praise the “good old days”), network and socialize.
Check it out, www.uwgb.edu – your University’s new website. Dig a little deeper and you will find all kinds of news, photos, very cool video, alumni features, campus scenes, donor profiles, and Inside alumni magazine! Bookmark it and stay connected to your University.
Here are a couple of highlights:
- Feature: Alumnus Sam Huber is founder of Eco-Runner, a new movement dedicated to running, fitness, and environmental sustainability. Yep, he picks up garbage as he goes…. He completed a recent marathon in 3 hours and 37 minutes while filling 28 bags of trash between way stations! Read the feature.
- Video: Scott Bartell, a history major, and Prof. Greg Aldrete, Humanistic Studies, re-created ancient Greek armor called linothorax and had a ball testing it against weapons including arrows, swords, spears and the dreaded mace. How did it hold up? Watch and see.
Green is more than UW-Green Bay’s school color, it’s campus beauty, Phoenix pride, and a way of thinking that is rooted in our campus history.
How can you “Go Green” for your University?
- Recommend your University to a potential student.
- Mentor or host an intern at your place of work.
- Give back; either by volunteering or with a financial gift.
- Be an ambassador by speaking positively about your experience.
- Continue to wear UW-Green Bay gear.
- Recommend an alumnus to be featured, or to receive an award.
- Stay connected www.uwgb.edu/alumni.
UW-Green Bay will hold its annual Steps to Make a Difference Walk on Saturday, Oct. 25, 2008. Step up and help others by enjoying a four-mile walk on the campus arboretum trail. The walk aids nonprofit organizations that serve thousands of people in the Green Bay area. For more information contact the Office of Student Life at 920-465-2720 or e-mail.
The campus community enjoyed a grand opening celebration recently for the expanded University Union.
Next time you’re in town, stop by and visit.
We have written about it in the Inside alumni magazine. Now, the Green Bay Press-Gazette has its own feature about the LeMieux Chapel, a hidden historical gem on the grounds of UW-Green Bay’s Cofrin Memorial Arboretum. Read the feature story.
“Waging War, Waging Peace” is the Common Theme on campus this year, and we would like you to get involved. Common Theme readings, blogs, lectures and displays are all on the agenda. The Common Theme is designed to engage campus and community in the ideals of a liberal arts education and our interdisciplinary mission. It encourages focus on a general theme from multiple perspectives and a shared experience with open discussion and critical thinking. Watch the Common Theme website for more details.