Marian Shaffer

MarianAFSBlogPic

I am currently working towards my Master’s Degree at UWGB and am a proud member of Dr. Patrick Forsythe’s aquatic ecology lab.  I majored in Biology as an undergraduate at UWGB, and immediately after graduating with my B.S. in May 2012, I traveled to Panama for a research internship with the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute.  My research involved studying the evolutionary effects of over-harvesting on a Caribbean mollusk through comparisons of morphometric data from baseline fossil shells to modern populations.  The experience was incredibly rewarding, and I knew then that this career path was my calling.  After returning to Green Bay, I worked as a Biological Science Technician at the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service under the Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) Monitoring Program covering Lake Michigan.  While my graduate project goal aims to obtain baseline assemblage metrics (density, richness, and diversity) and taxonomic distribution of larval fishes within the lower bay, it concurrently serves as a method of early detection of any potential unknown aquatic invasive species.  Green Bay plays a substantial role as a spawning and nursery habitat for local fish populations, therefore a better understanding of community structure and the dynamics of ichthyoplankton assemblages can help us determine which habitat areas need attention.