Student Employment

You are probably asking yourself if you should be getting a job while you are attending UWGB as a freshman. And the answer that I would give you is…you sure can if you want. Personally, I didn’t have a job during my freshman year because I wanted to focus on my grades and ease into the “new” college life. In other words, I didn’t want to take on too much too fast. I then worked during winter and summer break to make some extra cash for the following semester. If you do decide to get a job, I would recommend a job here on campus. There are many different opportunities and the convenience is unbeatable. Especially if you don’t have a vehicle, you can walk to work just like you walk to class. In fact, as I write this right blog right now, I am at “work” for the Office of Admissions.

It would take a whole paragraph to list out all of the job possibilities on campus, but if you are interested in student employment you can leave a comment below asking for more information. I may be able to point you in the right direction. Also, you can probably find a lot about UWGB job possibilities and opportunities on the campus website. Just do some digging and that may pay off too. The earlier you look into it, the better chance you may have of locking something down for the upcoming semester.

Working on campus does have some perks. Like I said before, they are convenient and student employers are also very flexible with students schedules. They all know we are full time students and they will work with you to find times that work out for everyone.
Another perk that not many people know about is Student Employee Appreciation Week, which just so happens to be this upcoming week…April 13th-17th. Green Bay Student Employment is hosting the fourth annual Student Employee of the Year (SEOTY) competition. Outstanding student workers have the chance to be nominated by their supervisors and receive various awards and recognitions for their hard work. The week also offers a number of events in celebration of student employees. The events include:

– Open Rock Climbing at the Kress Events Center

– Free Ice Cream, Cookies, and Popcorn at various times during the week

– Free Games in the Phoenix Club on Tuesday

– And More!

These events are for student employees only to reward them for all their hard work. So, when you are thinking about getting a job to get some extra cash or help pay for school… then you may want to take a look at what UWGB has to offer. Let me know if you have any questions about job possibilities and I would be happy to write back with some advice.

8 thoughts on “Student Employment”

1. I would talk to Diana in the Financial Aid office…she is good at helping people navigate the job search at UWGB. 920.465.2075 or stop in when you come for classes.

2. I’m looking for a campus job for the upcoming 2011 Fall Semester. I’m a transfer student from Carthage in Kenosha, coming in as a Junior, so I don’t really know much about what’s available on the GB campus. I had an on campus job in the student mail room at my previous college so I have experience in that kind of stuff. Are there job opportunities like that at GB??

3. For jobs I’d talk to Diana in the Fin Aid office. Just stop by or give her a call 920.465.2075.
    Clubs? You will have the opportunity to join clubs when you get here. We have something called “Org Smorg” (organizational smorgasbord)-look for that when you get here!

4. Hello Michael! I am having the hardest time tyring to find a job and clubs that I could possibly while I am attending UWGB. If you could help me out that would be terrific.

5. I have already started reading some of your articles. i found great articles here. And I will get back here. I just added your blog to my bookmark sites. thanks.

6. Students looking for part time vacancies may find the JobsManager.org (an international jobs search database) a useful link for finding work on or off campus from across the internet globally. Search by your industry classification and by the country and city or regional area you are looking for work opportunities in.

7. Thanks for the comment.

There are alot of job opportunities on campus for students. Examples include: Clerical/Administrative, Library, Theater, Grounds/Maintenance, Phoenix Sports Center, Lab Assistant, Research Assistants, Gallery guards, Bookstore, and Tutors. You can activily seek out these jobs based on your own interests.

Visit the link below for a helpful website that includes information on work/ study opportunities as well as regular jobs on and around campus.

So, not all jobs are work study and you I believe that you can work for one semester if you desire though that may depend on the department where you are employed.

http://www.uwgb.edu/financialaid/employment/opportunities/index.asp

8. The on-campus jobs, that’s work study, right? Is it possible to work only for one semester? Also, how much choice do you get in where you do your work-study? Do you have any good links to what kinds of work-study/jobs are available on-campus?