Senior Year Schedule Changes

It’s about this time of year when seniors in high school get antsy to graduate. Are you feeling it? You’re not alone. It’s totally normal to be excited to start the next step, but it can also be very scary. Don’t worry. We are here to help you though this time. Can I tell you what scares me? Senior Year Schedule Changes frighten me.

About this time of year our email inbox is full and our phone is ringing with people who want to change their senior year schedule for spring.  There are lots of reasons people want to change their schedule- they want to work, they are afraid that they won’t do well in the class, they are accepted and they figured their schedule is too difficult-why stress out in your senior year… None of these reasons surprise me, but I rarely approve a schedule change without a REALLY good reason.

Students get accepted to UW-Green Bay based on the strength of their high school curriculum and a number of other things, but the first thing we look at is a student’s college preparatory work from high school. It’s very important to us. When student calls me asking if a schedule change is OK, the first thing I ask is “Why do you want to change your schedule?”

We really would like to see students stay in their college prep classes. When you’re admitted it is based on the assumption that you will complete the courses you are registered for in your senior year and will maintain your gpa. Any changes to the plan could result in Admissions doing a “take-back” (the technical term is “rescinding admission”) and that is never fun. Calling or emailing us to talk about your options is a really good choice. We will be able to help you figure out the best way to set yourself up to be successful in college.  That is our goal by the way, we want you to graduate from UW-Green Bay!